Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC), Barcelona, Spain
UPC is a research and superior education public institution on Architecture, Engineering, Science and Technology. Following the principles of UPC, as part of the institution, UNESCOSOST group objective is to provide a reflective and interdisciplinary space, open to reframe Technology as a tool for sustainable development, to reduce social, economic and environmental vulnerabilities and to strengthen social, economic and cultural diversity.
UNESCO Chair on Sustainability
In most projects developed by the UNESCO Chair on Sustainability we work in a comprehensive and holistic way the different dimensions of sustainability, including the environmental, economic, social and institutional dimensions. In that sense, we are working regularly on 16 from 17 SDG (SDG 14, life below water, is the only not developed), although most work is focused on the action based on biosphere goals such as 6, 13 and 15, the development on society linked goals, such as 1, 3, 4, 5 and 11, and the progress on all economic goals (8, 9, 10, 12). UNESCO Chairs as our own, have adopted among its founding objectives the approach to North-South reality, performing activities both locally and its translation to global scale. In our case, the main research lines include: social management and participatory community development; local and regional strategic & adaptative planning; sustainability and intangible cultural heritage; ecoinfrastructures for sustainable development and management of ecosystem services; integral neighborhood improvement; panamazonia. Most activities and projects are developed in an international multi-network framework, but with a local or regional approach and with extensive mobility exchange. Most of the undergraduate training is developed at the UPC ESEIAAT Campus with a majority of local students (and some ERASMUS), whereas Master and PhD with many students from outside Spain. In other cases, training activities are carried out in different countries, in close collaboration with our academic partners.
Research Projects in Natural Resources Management
- Integrated and sustainable management of cork waste generated in the cork industry (ECORKWASTE).
- Vulnerability analysis and implementation of early warning systems for water supply in the Cauca department.
- Regeneration and reuse of runoff and drainage water in agricultural plots by combined natural water treatment systems (REAGRITECH).
- Participative strengthening of local development and adaptive capacities in vulnerable communities of Medellín. From the Moravia experience to the Camposanto Villatina Ecopark.
- Socio-environmental restoration of “Morro the Moravia”
- Enhancing solid waste management in the provincial municipality of Anta, Cusco, Peru (RESDIBA I, II and III)
BSc, MSc and Doctoral Programs relevant to CNRD
Activities in capacity development relevant to CNRD