German Jordanian University, Amman, Jordan
The German-Jordanian University (GJU) is a public university located in Mushaqar. It was founded in 2005 by a Royal Decree, in accordance with a memorandum of understanding reached between the Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan and the Federal Ministry of Education and Research of the Federal Republic of Germany. In August 2004, a founding committee began up its activities in Jordan. The committee was in close cooperation with the Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research. At the same time, the German planning office opened at the University of Magdeburg-Stendal in close cooperation with the Federal Ministry of Education and Research BMBF and the German Academic Exchange Services DAAD, which funded the university project for a period of four years. The University’s focus is on providing undergraduate and graduate programs of the highest quality. We offer over 20 programs, with a student body of around 5,000, drawn predominantly from Jordan, but also including international students. We take pride in our student-centered environment for learning and believe that quality education is founded upon close associations between faculty and students. GJU is linked with many other universities through bilateral agreements for cooperation, collaboration, and exchange of faculty members and students. These include international projects.
School of Natural Resources Engineering and Management (SNREM)
The SNREM aims at participating in the national and international efforts towards achieving sustainable development by preserving the environment and its natural resources (specifically in the energy, water, and agriculture sectors) against improper use/overuse and pollution in an integrated manner that takes into consideration economic growth and other factors through education, research, and services.
In this regard, the SNREM can support the coalition with the following:
Education and Training
- Devise and offer work-specific training courses and vocational training modules for a specific group of a community, managers, and the areas of water management, water conservation, and efficiency, environmental protection and management, environmental awareness, and environmentally informed policy and decision-making processes.
- Organize seminars, workshops, and public lectures on issues pertaining to Water, and Natural resources protection.
- Conduct applied research with the specific objectives of dealing with the industry needs and local problems identified by either the private or public sectors. Special emphasis would be on water quality control, wastewater management, and recycling, desalination, etc.
- Carry out integrated research programs addressing sustainable development issues that will aid in the development and implementation of National Water and Environment Strategy Plans with regard to the use of natural resources and their management.
Services and Consultation
- Performing environmental and water assessments for local communities, enterprises, and water basins.
- Carrying out water conservation and management studies and supervising the implementation of results of such studies.
- Providing laboratory and consultancy services in water quality and wastewater management.
Research Projects in Natural Resources Management
- Integrated Water Resources Management with a focus on the Middle East and Northern Africa (IWRM-MENA)
- Water Security: from Data to Decision (D2D)
- Biogas Production in Local Communities in Jordan
- Waste to positive energy
- Brackish Water Desalination System powered by an off-grid PV system
- Climate-resilient Water Management
BSc, MSc, and Doctoral Programs relevant to CNRD
- Environmental and Renewable Energy Engineering
Activities in capacity development relevant to CNRD
- Development of a Humanitarian WaSH MSc program
- Transformation by desalination
- MSc. Student exchange program with TUHH in Environmental Engineering
- IWRM exchange program with TU Koln
Amman، Madaba Street, Madaba 11180, Jordan