Addis Ababa University, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Addis Ababa University was established in 1950 and in 1953 the Ministry of Education founded the Faculty of Technology. Formerly known as the College of Engineering, since 2010, it has been called the Addis Ababa Institute of Technology (AAIT).
AAIT is the first technology institute in Ethiopia to achieve international recognition for its research and it secures the highest levels of employability for its graduates. Projects and studies are based on priorities that reflect the needs of the country, and research is applied and technology-based.
After imparting technical competence, the AAIT aims to create an environment conducive to cultivating social skills and entrepreneurship among students and staff. The Department of Civil Engineering trains civil engineers to produce competent graduates with good problem-solving and research skills at B.Sc., M.Sc., and Ph.D. levels. The graduates contribute to the economic development of the country and upgrade the engineering sector in Ethiopia. The department is well known for its laboratories, which serve the teaching-learning process, research, and consultancy. The department currently runs seven M.Sc. programs (with 900 students), including Hydraulic Engineering, Hydropower Engineering, and Water Supply and Environmental Engineering, along with an undergraduate program in civil engineering with 3,000 students, with a permanent staff of 80 lecturers and professors. Currently, AAIT has a total of 335 academic and technical staff members of whom about 20% (61) hold Ph.Ds.
NBH1, 4killo King George VI St, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia